Catholic Marriage is a life long mystery of growth in love between two people and Jesus. To be married at St Thomas the man and woman must have the maturity and depth to enter this growth and a commitment to the Catholic faith.
- Book the date and time at least one year prior to your marriage. At St Thomas the charge for the use of the Church is $200. $100 (non-refundable) is to be paid shortly after the initial booking is made in order that the booking can be confirmed, with the balance of $100 to be paid one month prior to the marriage taking place.
- While there is never a charge for Sacraments, an honorium to the celebrant is expected along the lines of a civil celebrant. As a guide, the cost of Registry Office weddings is $300.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR MARRIAGE IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
Each person must obtain the following documents:
- Birth Certificate – Available from Registrar of Births & Deaths
- Baptism Certificate – This must have been issued in the past six months and is available from the parish where you were baptised.
- International passports – If the person is not Australian by birth, proof of Australian citizenship or a visa is required.
If either party has been married before:
- Death certificate of former spouse
- Decree of Nullity (from the Catholic Marriage Tribunal)
- Civil Divorce Decree
A mixed marriage is one where one party is a Catholic and the other party is not a Catholic. Permission can be given for a Catholic to marry one who is not a Catholic, provided that the Catholic promises to safeguard his/her own Catholic faith and to do all in his/her power to have the children of the marriage baptised and brought up as Catholic.
The partner who is not a Catholic is not required to make any promises but is informed of the expectations the Church has of the Catholic partner.
PREPARATION FOR MARRIAGE
Preparation is a necessary part of every important thing we do and marriage is no different. Much time and effort usually go toward the planning and organising the wedding day, so too, preparation for the lifetime of marriage that comes after the wedding is an important part of being engaged. Please contact Catholic Marriage Education Services on 9325 1859 to arrange enrolment in the next available course.
The course will involve some input, individual reflections, couple sharing and group discussions as well as some exercises and heaps of fun. You will also be required to meet with the Priest of St Thomas.
READINGS AT YOUR SERVICE
The readings used at your marriage must be from the Scriptures. Parish Priest can supply copies of suitable readings on request.
MUSIC AT YOUR SERVICE
The music at your marriage may be live or on a CD; it must be ‘sacred music’. The words of the songs that are chosen need to reflect the values and beliefs of the Church. Very few popular love songs meet this requirement. It is suggested that such songs are played at the wedding reception, but are not to be part of the marriage ceremony.
Our Musicians are:
Gemma Ryan: 9386 4010
Cam: 0401 326 063 (Organist)
Please contact Sue Dardis on 0417 992 251 should you wish to discuss the use of our Dodd Pipe Organ.
FLOWERS AT ST THOMAS
Flowers are to be co-coordinated with the Church florist – it is expected that some flowers will be left at the Church. Our florist, Stephanie Tew can be contacted on 9386 6960, 0408 798 174.
Many couples decide to produce a Wedding Booklet. This booklet will need to be viewed at a meeting with your Priest prior to the marriage:
Please contact the Parish Office on 08 9384 0598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.